Chemnitz was first mentioned in 1143 when the town was granted the market privilege. Presumably, already in 1136 Emperor Lother founded the monastery on the castle hill and thus provided for the settlement of the surrounding area since the monastery had to be supplied by the surrounding countryside. The official town charter was then granted by Emperor Barbarossa in 1171. This marked the beginning of Chemnitz’s rise to become one of Germany’s most important industrial cities.
Name change and reunification
In honor of the “Karl Marx Year” in 1953, Chemnitz was renamed Karl-Marx Stadt on 10 May. Throughout the entire period of the DDR, the city now bore its new name. Only after reunification did the citizens of Chemnitz vote for the new name. In honor of this eventful history, there is the special coinage in fine gold and fine silver, which is a must-have for every Chemnitzer who is interested in the history of his city.